derby moor community sports college, derbyshire
Following the whole campus learning model, a variety of external learning zones are provided across the whole site for pupils and the wider community. These include areas for humanities, communications, maths, performing arts, ecology and growing labs. Each learning zone is linked to the college house groups, which take inspiration from the Olympic values and rings. These are Solidarity, Participation, Honour, Dedication and Spirit.
The new terraced entrance plaza opens out directly to the community but also overcomes significant level differences associated with the refurbishment and extension of the existing school on a sloping site. This change in level has been exploited to create a tiered amphitheatre which steps down to a sheltered external dining area.
The school's heat and hot water is generated by a biomass boiler. An associated biomass demonstration area has been established, growing osier and maiden grass as fuel.
- templeman library extension, kent
- kent business school and school of msas, kent
- doha college, qatar
- wade deacon high school, cheshire
- westfield student village, london
- long sutton primary school, hampshire
- west sussex batched academies, west sussex
- derby moor community sports college, derbyshire
- columbus school and college, essex
- university of hertfordshire, hertfordshire
images 2 and 4 - courtesy of Hawkins\Brown Architects