doha college, qatar
The new Doha College campus proposals layer Arabic and English references with an international outlook at one of the oldest British curriculum schools in Qatar. Accommodation for the school for all ages ‘under one roof’ is set to the perimeter of the site surrounding the sports pitches, just as an English green is set to the heart of the village. Traditional and contemporary approaches are blended across the site, with the forum at the heart of the school featuring intricate patterning and a water rill bordered by olive trees in dramatically oversized pots.
Intrinsic links between the buildings and landscape have been created, ensuring the whole campus forms a resource to enrich the learning process and experience. Shaded outdoor areas between buildings form attractive spaces for open-air learning and play, whilst also providing passive climate control. Abundant planting, supported by the re-use of grey water, is reminiscent of England’s verdant landscape in marked contrast to the school’s arid surroundings.
The scheme was won through an international limited invitation design competition, working with Jestico+Whiles.
- templeman library extension, kent
- kent business school and school of msas, kent
- doha college, qatar
- wade deacon high school, cheshire
- westfield student village, london
- long sutton primary school, hampshire
- west sussex batched academies, west sussex
- derby moor community sports college, derbyshire
- columbus school and college, essex
- university of hertfordshire, hertfordshire